Since the beginning of the year, the Nebulas development team has been publicly testing the latest version of the Nebulas blockchain. The testing process included stability, reliability and security of this upgrade. With a successful test period, the development team will proceed to upgrade the mainnet to version 3.0 - entitled Nebulas Voyager.
Details about the Nebulas Voyager upgrade
Nebulas Voyager is the most substantial upgrade of Nebulas since the release of Nebulas NOVA which launched on December 31st, 2018. Voyager’s core upgrade is the Proof of Devotion (PoD) consensus mechanism. The PoD mechanism is built on the basis of the contribution size from the community and is a novel method for decentralized collaboration.
The PoD mechanism comprises two components:
- Consensus mechanism: PoD delivers a fully decentralized blockchain relying on community managed nodes for mainnet operation, security and stability.
- Governance mechanism: The consensus nodes which produce the most blocks will be chosen as governance nodes and will decide if community proposals should become projects, funding and more. All governance votes will utilize on-chain voting.
This Upgrade Includes
- The consensus mechanism will be upgraded from DPoS to Nebulas’ PoD.
Deployment of the Pod Consensus Smart Contracts
Deployment of the Pod Governance Smart Contracts
- Adjustment of the event contract address record generated within smart contracts which modifies the binary hex of the smart contract address in topic.
- Security upgrade of the mainnet pertaining to modifications of the blacklist management via smart contract.
When Will The Upgrade Take Place
The upgrade is expected to take place on March 30, 2020, from approximately 11:00 a.m. to 5:00p.m. Beijing time (UTC+8).
Node Software Upgrade
Exchanges, wallets, node operator and others operating the Nebulas blockchain:
Upgrading to the latest version of Nebulas’ mainnet will require pulling the latest master branch of the code located at: https://github.com/nebulasio/go-nebulas/tree/v3.0.0
The standard upgrade steps are as follows:
- Pull the latest version via the link above
- Execute dependency library link script
- Compile the new neb node
- Start the compiled node based on the latest code version
./neb -c mainnet/conf/config.conf
Note: this upgrade updates the config.conf file - be sure to verify your config settings prior to starting.
Nodes operated within docker containers need to be built:
docker-compose build && docker-compose up -d
This upgrade is a technical upgrade and on March 30th, the application for node operators will open on April 6th to all at node.nebulas.io. In addition to the public release of the node.nebulas.io platform, NAX node voting will also be opened simultaneously. For users who want to participate in node voting or want to operate a node, be sure to watch for future announcements.